There are reasons why wearing high heels are good and reasons why wearing them is bad.
Reasons against wearing high heels, which are almost exclusively health and practicality reasons, include:
- They can cause foot and tendon pain.
- They increase likelihood of sprains and fractures.
- They make calves look more rigid and sinewy.
- They can create foot deformities, including hammertoes and bunions.
- They can cause an unsteady gait.
- They can shorten the wearer's stride.
- They can render the wearer unable to run.
- They can also agitate lower back pain.
- Altered forces at the knee caused by walking in high heels may predispose to degenerative changes in the knee joint.
- Frequent wearing results in a higher incidence of degenerative joint disease of the knees. This is because they cause a decrease in the normal rotation of the foot, which puts more rotation stress on the knee.
- Thin or metal-tipped heels can cause damage to soft floors.